This Lasagna Soup is a family recipe, it's savory and perfect any day of the year. A classic blend of rich lasagna flavors, in a luscious broth.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- kosher sea salt
- 2 onions chopped
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 15 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil plus thinly sliced leaves for topping
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
Add the sausage sprinkle with a dash of kosher salt and brown until crusty bits form on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the Dutch oven and allow to drain on paper towels.
Reduce the heat, then cook the onion until softened about 5 minutes. Toss in the garlic, oregano, and tomato paste, stir until darkened and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Combine the browned sausage back to the pot.
Stir until well blended, taste for flavor. Add more Kosher Sea Salt if necessary.
Pour in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, and 2 cup water; increase heat and bring to a slow boil.
Stir, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Uncover, stir, and simmer for an additional 20 minutes, slightly reducing the soup. Check for flavor balance.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles per directions. Drain, and toss with a drizzle of olive oil.
Mix in the noodles, basil, parmesan, and heavy cream; simmer 2 more minutes.
Serve in warm bowls.
Topped with fresh basil and parmesan.
- Prep time is approximate.
- To heat soup bowls, place oven-safe bowls into 200°F/93° for 5 minutes.
- Soup will stay fresh in the fridge 3-4 days and in the freezer up to 6 months.
- If storing in the freezer we recommend not adding the lasagna noodles until reheating.