Sweet Slow Roasted Tomatoes, total flavor nirvana! All you need are tomatoes, Kosher sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, EVOO and time to let them slow roast to their absolute glory.
This is a tomato lovers tomato, slow roasting brings out the sweetness in red ripe tomatoes. Giving them a rich unxious flavor with a slightly chewy dense bite likely to squirt their sweet juice across your plate as you lean in for a mouthful.
What can I use Sweet Slow Roasted Tomatoes in?
Everything and anything, they glow on their own and as a side dish with pasta, steak or chicken.
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Season With Authority, Restaurant Style Flavor For The Home Chef!
Get the latest in kitchen science, recipe creation, food photography and more by joining our weekly email list!
- Pile them onto a bagel smeared with cream cheese and chives.
- Top off a freshly grilled burger with these little gems and some blue cheese dressing (it’s not just for salads)!
- Create delectable sauces and soups by running them through a food mill.
- Make the best tomato sandwich of your life, slow roasted tomatoes nestled in between slices soft of bread don’t even need butter or mayo, they’ll rock your world all on their own. Thrown in a glass of Florida sun tea and you’ll have a new favorite lunch!
Here we used them in a favorite pasta dish Seafood Arrabbiata (recipe incoming).
Can I cook slow roasted tomatoes at a higher temperature?
Slow roasting creates a superior flavor and far better than anything we have tried to rush along in a higher temp oven in a shorter period of time. Don’t rush perfection it’s one of those things that gets sweeter with time!
If you want to tune up the flavor a little more add your favorite herbs and toss in some garlic for good measure.
Feel like a Mexican dish? Then, by all means, add some cumin seeds and fresh oregano. Make it yours!
Please Pin our Recipe to Share with Your Friends!👇🏼
How to Make Sweet Slow Roasted Tomatoes
Slow Roasted Tomatoes, an easy cooking technique giving total flavor nirvana! All you need is tomatoes, kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, EVOO and time.
- 4 pounds vine ripe tomatoes, washed + sliced in half
- Kosher sea salt, healthy sprinkle
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, drizzled over top of all tomatoes
Preheat oven to 200°F
Wash and cut tomatoes in half across the belly (do not core), place cut sides up on parchment lined sheet pan(s). Season with Kosher sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and finish off with a healthy drizzle of EVOO over all of the tomatoes.
Roast for 6-8 hours, the tomatoes will reduce in size but retain their shape.
Remove from the oven and serve if desired or cool and then store in airtight containers. Tomatoes will stay fresh and delicious up to 5 days in the fridge and up to 6 months in the freezer.
- Prep time is approximate.
- Roast time will vary depending on the size of the tomatoes, typically anywhere between 6-8 hours.
- Higher temperatures will result in "wet" sometimes burned tomatoes, keep it low and slow for optimal results!
- Cool and store in airtight containers up to 5 days in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer.
Did you Make a Mean Green Chef Recipe?
We 💙 LOVE 💚 seeing your creations! So don’t forget to tag us @meangreenchef or #meangreenchef so we can see what’s happening in your kitchen!